Thursday, May 19, 2016

Semana 1

Hola mi familia y amigas,

I made it through one whole week!  Holy cow, this is great!  So I will start with day 1.  The plane rides here were so hard for me.  I have never felt to broken but you know what, it all worked out.  Heavenly Father has a great sense of humor however.  I prayed that he would sit me next to someone who could talk to me a lot on the plane.  I got on and guess what!!! I was literally by a deaf person, but that's ok because we talked the whole plane ride over by texting on his phone so it was great.  When I got to the MTC it was about midnight and we had to be up at 6:00 the next morning.  My companion is Hermana Shaw and she is amazing!  I am so grateful to have her.  We get along so well.  She is great! 

So my typical day at the MTC is up at 6:00am.  Personal study from 7:00-8:00am.  Breakfast at 8:00 and then classes until 12:30 and then lunch.  Classes again until 4:00 and then the gym until 5:00 and then dinner and then classes until 9:30 and in bed by 10:00pm.  Everyday!!  It is very packed!!

So here is a fun story for you.  I got to have a wonderful Friday.  I woke up feeling awful and ended up throwing up 6 times in 2 hours.  Yep life was not fun!  Never have I ever wanted my Mom as much as I did at that moment.  So it is pretty fun here - there are 60 latins and 20 nortes.  The latins always make sure to watch me at meal time so they can watch me gag.  The best part of the day is playing volleyball with the latins.  They call me Lo Siento Gringo because I always say sorry  when I miss the ball...ha ha!

Let me just share a very special experience I had this week.  There is an Elder in my district and his name is Elder M.  He is from the Phillipines.  I learned this week just how lucky we are to live in the US.  He grew up in what he calls a humble home, which is actually a home of leaves and sticks.  They ate one meal a day and when he was 8 he started having to work to pay for food.  In 2013 the missionaries found him and he converted without his families support.  A huge storm hit them and killed over 10,000 people and they were all dead on the streets.  He said he was lucky because he got the chance to know that he could see them again.  How lucky we are to have the lives we have and live in the country we live in.

Spanish is definitely hard!  Very hard!  But I like it a lot. I am learning so much.  I can now pray in Spanish and bear my testimony in Spanish and carry a pretty good conversation.  The gift of tongues is real!

I don't have a ton of time but I miss you all so much and am so grateful for the opportunity to be here.  Never have I been so happy in my life!  I am truly blessed!  I know how important this work is.  I love you all!  I feel your prayers each day!

Love,
Hermana Labrum



**A little more info from several quick lines of email exchanges -
I absolutely love the Latin's.  They are amazing! We got to go to the Temple this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment